Blog post By Paula Chiocchi on 2023-09-27
Like most things in life, it's essential to avoid the trap of doing the same things repeatedly while expecting different outcomes. This is true when it comes to email marketing. Take it from me, with nearly two decades of leading acquisition email campaigns for clients, I’ve journeyed through the evolution of email. Along with our team, we live and breathe email marketing and understand the best practices that work today – and those that need to be left behind.
To revitalize your email campaigns and achieve optimal performance, here are seven proven strategies we use to achieve the best results for our clients:
- Define Your Ideal Customer: Understanding your ideal customer is paramount. Take a moment to visualize who they are, what they seek, and their impression of your brand. Without this knowledge, your messaging risks being off-target and may alienate your audience.
- Align Contact Lists with Your Ideal Customer: Targeted relevancy is key. Ensure your contact lists align with your ideal customer profile. Tailor your content to resonate with each segment, or if necessary, remove contacts that don't fit your target profile. Quality over quantity is the guiding principle here.
- Aim for the Sweet Spot: Benchmarking industry standards helps gauge your performance. Strive to achieve top-notch open rates for your target audience. Be mindful of the frequency of your emails, as excessive messaging might lead to diminishing returns.
- Humanize Your Communication: People connect with people, not faceless entities. Let your emails come from a person, a champion or thought leader within your organization, who embodies your brand. The personal touch can substantially increase open rates and engagement.
- Segment Your Contacts: Not all contacts have the same interests. Segment your lists based on their preferences to ensure that you send them the most relevant content. Sending tailored messages to each segment fosters a positive response.
- Embrace Simplicity: Sometimes less is more. If your messages aren't generating desired responses, consider refining your approach. A straightforward and honest "we haven't heard from you lately… would you like to unsubscribe?" can surprisingly re-engage unresponsive contacts.
- Innovate and Integrate: Email marketing has stood the test of time because it can be used in combination with other channels – such as display ads and direct mail – to improve audience reach and campaign results, and because it is a marketing channel that is constantly evolving. One of the ways Outward Media has evolved our email marketing services is through the use of probabilistic intent monitoring for email acquisition campaigns. We combine intent results with our high-quality business contact data to provide clients with a list of potential in-market prospects from a specific company. These prospects are decision-makers who have been shown, through their digital actions, to have a high probability of being interested in what our clients have to offer.
Remember, relevance is the key to capturing your audience's attention. By implementing these strategic email campaign remediation tips, you'll resonate with your target audiences, ultimately leading to improved results and increased interest in your communications.
Reach out to find out more about our massive B2BC contact database to fuel your omnichannel digital campaigns. It now has over 145MM B2BC contacts with email addresses and social profiles!