If you’re like many B2B marketers, one of your communications channels might be advertising, whether it’s display ads, pop-up ads or even print ads. However, studies continue to show that advertising doesn’t deliver the ROI that it used to. In addition, Forbes recently concluded that millennials do not respond to ads the way other generations have. That’s because today’s ad tactics are often seen as intrusive. For this reason, we are seeing the rising use of ad blockers.
Although advertising still has its place, and should be a part of many marketers’ toolboxes, the future of this channel looks brighter when combined with the power of email. Today, more and more, email is adding a valuable lift when used in conjunction with programmatic display ad campaigns. And because of its strong ROI, email can help marketers overcome the negative impact of ad blockers, too.
So while email was once declared dead, it continues to prove time and time again that it is the marketing gift that keeps on giving. Here are five reasons to put email marketing at the top of your priority list in the New Year:
- Email generates results: Email reaches your targets on their electronic device of choice – their desktop, tablet or mobile phone – and, according to MailChimp, the average email open rate for customer campaigns, across industries, is around 20% (about 1 in 5). Acquisition email campaigns, which are directed at potential prospects, have open rates that vary and can reach 15%.
- Email supports word of mouth: When done right, email can leverage the power of word-of-mouth marketing. Marketers can use email as a vehicle for delivering recommendations – testimonials, case studies, referrals, thought leadership etc. – from customers, partners or other influencers.
- Email delivers valued content: To be successful, B2B marketers need to strike the right balance of self-promotion and providing value to an audience. This can be done by sharing insightful studies (articles, whitepapers); helpful “how-to” content (videos, success stories); and referrals/testimonials from others with similar interests and challenges. This sharable content can be promoted on a variety of social media channels to further fuel word-of-mouth marketing.
- Email is constantly monitored: According to Adobe, people are checking email more often than ever. The time spent on email increased in 2016 both for work (up 28%) and personal (up 6%) communications, reaching a total of about 7.4 hours per day, demonstrating an “always on” email culture. In fact, 70 percent of survey respondents check their email while watching TV, and 45 admit to checking email in the bathroom!
- Email supports the customer lifecycle: While ads generally are tasked with generating awareness or clicks, email can be utilized to support customers throughout their lifecycle: from acquisition and onboarding to expansion and renewal. As a result, email has a deep intrinsic value for recipients and is often a welcome sight in the inbox.
As marketers make their plans and budgets for 2017, they will be tasked to invest in activities that generate the most impact for their business. Evidence shows that email remains a wise choice for businesses of all types and sizes.
Outward Media’s accurate, targeted email data can help you achieve better email marketing ROI, and convert more prospects into customers. Ask us how. Also, take a look at our complimentary new e-book on building a successful B2B email marketing database.