Blog post By Paula Chiocchi on 2017-09-27
Sometimes it helps marketers to learn from others who have successfully leveraged email data to generate leads and increase revenue for their companies. Although we have many successful clients, here are a couple of recent examples:
Company 1: A Fortune 1000 company that wanted to target small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) for its services
- Situation: The company realized that it not only lacked the email data to reach new prospects, but that less than a quarter of its prospects used corporate domain-based emails, with the rest using hard-to-find public domain addresses, such as Yahoo or Gmail.
- Action: After an extensive search, the company turned to OMI, recognizing our SMB market reach and data accuracy.
- Results: In the first half of 2017 alone, OMI drove nearly 75 percent of the company’s total share of revenue for their SMB initiative. Through June 2017, results were 26 percent ahead of last year, and email marketing ROI was double that of the entire previous year—which was already 55 to 1!
Company 2: National fitness company that wanted to increase membership
- Situation: Previous email campaigns were not successful in delivering new members, due to the client’s use of generic, low quality email data. As such, the company sought an email data provider that not only offered high email quality, but could map data to the company’s geographic locations and target demographics.
- Action: The company selected OMI due to its breadth of email data and data accuracy. OMI came up with a winning campaign strategy, fueled by highly targeted email data. All in all, over 200,000 B2C records were delivered, with mailings occurring four times, creating over 900,000 impressions. Click-through rates were also above average at 3.4 percent and 94 percent deliverability was achieved.
- Results: As of Q1 2017, the fitness company secured over 550 new members, totaling approximately 50 per location. An ROI of 3 to 1 was achieved for each franchise. New member conversion went from essentially zero to 6 percent per location.
Takeaways for marketers:
- Email marketing works: Investment in email campaigns and data will almost certainly deliver an impressive return on investment. In fact, according to the Direct Marketing Association, the median ROI for email is 122 percent – four times higher than social media, direct mail and paid search.
- Follow-up improves results: Lead nurturing emails get 4-10 times the response rate compared to standalone email blasts. In addition, companies that excel at lead nurturing generate 50 percent more sales ready leads at 33 percent lower cost.
- Zero-in on your targets: Marketers should not purchase generic lists, but instead be able to segment and select email data based on industries, geographies, company employee size, titles and more.
- Quality matters: With inferior or outdated email data, marketers are likely wasting their time, budget and efforts. Only use a vendor who can guarantee (in writing!) 95 percent email address validity. Licensed email data – as opposed to rented, one-time use lists – also provides cost and data quality advantages, and it’s the approach we take at OMI.
Our team is eager to apply the lessons we’ve learned over the last 20 years to help your business grow; just as we have done for our many satisfied email marketing clients since 2000.
Outward Media’s accurate, targeted email data can help you achieve better email marketing ROI, and convert more prospects into customers. Ask us how. Also, take a look at our complimentary e-book on building a successful B2B email marketing database.